Friday, May 15, 2009

"Healthier" Sugar Cookies

Recipe below...


Well...since moving into the apartment We have had a little battle with Paige. At the old house we had door locks on several of the doors. Here at the apartment, the knobs are handles and we do not have any of those locks on just yet.

One of the doors she gets into is the pantry. If is not huge, but I keep moving sprinkles higher because she keep getting into them. Yesterday she moved the step stool over to the pantry so she could reach them. Today it was the bar stool. After that, I told her we could make cookies and use sprinkles.

While Peyton was taking his morning nap we made the dough for the sugar cookies. We then put it into the fridge to chill. After all 3 kids took an afternoon nap, we rolled out the dough and cut out our sugar cookies...yes Paige got to put on her sprinkles. Now, I have been trying hard to be sure I make the healthiest choices I can for my family. I know cookies are not the best and good for an occasional treat, but still...white processed flour, butter, sugar...not a my thighs best friend. So here is my version of sugar cookies and are "healthier." Well they do have less fat, calories, and tons on fiber for sure, plus they tasted good!

1 1/2 t of baking powder
1/2 t of salt
1 cup (Next time I am going to try less)
3 cups of whole wheat flour (was regular white flour)
1 c margarine or light butter...I use Land O Lakes (was real butter)
1 egg
3 T of milk (was cream)
1 t of vanilla
***If you are rolling and using cookies cutters, add 1-2 tablespoons of flour and don't forget to roll out onto a floured counter top***

Mix all of above (sift dry to get out any chunks). Chill in fridge until cold. Roll out and cut into shapes or when you put in fridge roll into a log (or as Parker says...a big giant worm...Paige says, Oh, a snake!) and slice. Put on sprinkles if you choose. Bake at 400 for about 6-8 minutes!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Mark Leech said...

I'm assuming that it is a cup of SUGAR?