Monday, August 31, 2009

Tomorrow

Tomorrow is a new day

Tomorrow is a different day.

Tomorrow is almost here!

Tomorrow Parker goes to Pre-K. He has the new lunch box and outfit ready. He helped me pick out his lunch for tomorrow. He went to meet the teacher last week. He is ready to go.

But am I?

Since staying home (the month after Parker turned 2), I have not had him away from me more than a day at a time. For preschool last year he was only gone 2 days a week...Tuesday and Thursday. This year it is 4 days a week. It seams like such a long time. I know next year he will be in kindergarten and he will be gone longer, but still...4 days. I know that this is great for him and the program is wonderful (that is why I am choosing to drive 20+ minutes there 4 days a week and to let him even go 4 days a week).

Still...as a mommy that likes control, it is going to be another adjustment.

Speaking of adjustment...Paige is going to me starting school as well. Not at preschool like Parker though. Tomorrow we will find out more, but we have known this was coming for over a year now.

Paige is in speech and has been for over a year. Since she started, she has been seen at home. We have known that once she turns 3 she will be seen in the school. While living in Rowlett, we knew that in Garland ISD, she would be seen for 2 hours a week at the school (either once for 2 hours or 2 times for 1 hour each). There were not too many choices other than that.

Here in Leander, it is so different. They have TONS of choices and options for her speech. It could be as much as she would have received in Rowlett, or it could be every day in a preschool setting...with more options between.

Paige was tested on Friday for her speech to she how she has progressed over the last year. She has improved her quantity of words, but her pronunciation and articulation of them is still low. Tomorrow I will find out the results of the test (actual score) as well as their recommendation for her. On Thursday we will have her ARD.

I know as a teacher that the recommendation for her will be what is best for her. I also know that I do not have to (as her mom) let her do anything or more that I want her to. So, I am preparing myself for the worst (my baby girl gone all day everyday). I also know that in preparing myself for that, that might not be the recommendation, I do not have to take it if it is, and that she is going to be okay.

One reason I think she has improved her quantity of words is because she was in preschool last year. I also know that this year she in only on the waiting list so she might not even get in. This could be her "preschool" for the year.

Who knows. Either way, tomorrow is only a day a way, but has a lot of changes on the horizon.

Please pray for my heart and my control (or lack of) that I have in the situations and over my growing children.

As we all say...too big too fast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jami, That's a lot for a mom to handle! I will be praying that you and Trooper will know what is best for Paige. And that whatever that decission may be, I pray that you will be ok with it. It's never easy letting your child go, letting them out of your control, and letting someone else be in charge of them. Let us know how Parker does and what they say about Paige's speech.

The Maybin's said...

Jami! Reflect on the faithfulness of the Father in the past couple of weeks for you...time, sleep, etc! He promises to be faithful even now! Love you...keep me posted!

Emily